Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Golden Artist Colors Conference

Golden Artist Colors Conference


Just heading back from the "Golden Gathering" in Florida, where I got a fresh dose of information on Golden products, but so much more!  Re-connecting with colleagues, meeting artists from all over the world, taking workshops and attending super informative talks and demos. Here are a few pix.  Ill put together more posts when I get home, with more links and video. 

Here is me (orange T-shirt, gray hair) in Adria Archs class on teaching intuitive painting.  She is right up my alley, and gave me some FABULOUS ideas for improving my teaching.  We did some really fun exercises that got us painting immediately, totally engaged in the process, without thinking and agonizing.  She got us to tap into that direct line between intuition and process.  I will be trying these in upcoming workshops.

Here are a few things that came out of one of Adrias exercises.
The venue wasnt too shabby, though it was not this sunny. 

I took a watercolor workshop with Bianka Guna, in which we used Goldens new Qor watercolors.  Yes, that is Q  O  R, Qor, pronounced "core".  So Ill be experimenting with them in my studio and share with you.  The colors are intense and rich, and they work beautifully on many different grounds and substrates.


Here is Bianka.  She is an engaging teacher, very entertaining as well as knowledgeable.
This is one of the collograph plates I made in Shari Pratts workshop.  I have some better pix, which Ill share in a later post.  We used all kinds of textural materials and many of Goldens texture gels to make printing plates. 

Then we printed using OPEN acrlyics, which have a long long long l o n g drying time. They are great for monoprinting because you can take your time working the paint into/on the plate.

Melanie Matthews
One more person I want to introduce you to (if you dont already know her) is Melanie Matthews.  I attended her slide talk on using Pinterest, and found her to be one of the most generous artists Ive met, in terms of sharing information.  Funny, fun, a GREAT presenter.  I would take a workshop with her any day.  Check out her Pinterest Boards and follow her.  OMG, what a wealth of carefully curated images she shares.

Available link for download